Re: [TR] 3a under dash sequence

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] 3a under dash sequence
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 19:16:28 -0400
>I am soon going to be installing the wiper motor with cable and boxes,
> defrost ducts, heater, and wiring harness under the dash of my TR3 (which
> has virtually nothing else installed on its body). Oh yes and the steering
> column.
> Coudl someone recommend the proper sequence? I can just see myself
> installing and uninstalling....
> TIA
> Jim Wallace
> TS81417

Hi, Jim.  Having just done this (and redone some of it):

1)  prepare and paint floors, firewall, whatever as necessary
2)  lay in your accelator pedal assembly
3)  install your brake/clutch assembly
4)  install your dimmer switch assembly
5)  create a ground junction in the firewall to attach the collective ground
wire for your gauges (which is also the ground for your battery) if you're
opting for this.  (It means connecting all gauges with a string of wire
connectors.)
6)  if you've installed a new battery box, check the back to ensure that it
has the two small ledges welded on for your dash braces.  If not (my repro
didn't), weld or rivet new ones in.  (Doug and Alex Monzo sent some great
pictures, and Mike Lang sent a detailed narrative,.  If you need I've saved
them and can pass them on. [...thanks again, you guys!])
7)  run the wiper assembly, tighten down and test the action.
8)  install the heater, hoses, and firewall pipes.  The heater will only be
hanging from the bulkhead bolt, so string the other two supports from the
cowling.
9)  assemble most of the steering column assembly, including the dash
bracket, but without the steering wheel, controller, etc.
10) on the lefthand side, place the steering column bracket on the defroster
vent studs, and loosely place the defroster vent on also, get the nuts
started, but don't tighten anything.  On the right hand side, simply hang
the defroster vent, but don't tighten the nuts.
11) attach the two brackets on the left and right side to the battery box
ledges (described above).  Attach to the heater bracket and the steering
column bracket to this bracket.
12) install the dash with all gauges attached.  The slots at the top of the
dash are the first thing against the cowling, while the steering bracket
comes next, and the defroster vents last.  But because you've already
started these, you're simply squeezing the dash into the gap you left by
keeping these loose on the bolts.

After that, it's pretty intuitive.  Wiring harness, steering wheel assembly,
etc.

Hope I haven't forgotten anything.  Have fun!
Terry Smith, '59 TR3A (Man, I LOVE a car with floors, a dash and a gas
tank!)
New Hampshire

===     http://www.vtr.org