Re: [TR] Float settings

To: "Bob Danielson" <75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org>
Subject: Re: [TR] Float settings
From: Barry Schwartz <v6spitfireguy@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 03:27:14 -0700
The simple answer is (is there ever a simple answer? :-) ...
The level in the float bowl also influences the mixture, so setting the
float correctly insures correct mixture strength throughout the entire RPM
range.  It effects running characteristics in that if the float is set too
low, along with a lean running engine you may also run out of fuel at high
rpm, and if set too full you may experience flooding on slight inclines
(not to mention rich running). So hopefully with this simple explanation,
you can visualize that the correct float level is critical to ensuring you
will get the proper mixture strength at all engine rpm and load conditions
when setting the needles
>The Haynes manuals (both the carb manual and the generic maintenance manual)
>both state that the floats should be set to the exact same measurement. Why?
>What difference does it make? Isn't the important thing that the float shuts
>off the flow of fuel so as to not overfill/flood the carbs? I just ran into
>an issue with the floats being set exactly the same but one wasnt shutting
>off the needle valve completely. Once I fixed that, the "measurements" were
>a little different but fuel flow was stopped. I'm a carb newbie so ....be
>gentle!

Barry Schwartz
San Diego, CA