RE: [TR] Float settings

To: "Bob Danielson" <75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org>,
Subject: RE: [TR] Float settings
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 10:58:50 -0700
> The Haynes manuals (both the carb manual and the generic maintenance manual)
> both state that the floats should be set to the exact same measurement. Why?
> What difference does it make? Isn't the important thing that the float shuts
> off the flow of fuel so as to not overfill/flood the carbs?

Although that is also important; if the valve doesn't close with the float set
"by the book", then there is something else wrong.  If, as is likely, that
something else wrong means the fuel level drops under load, then the mixture
will go lean.  Lean mixture under load means reduced performance at the very
least, and can potentially lead to severe engine damage.

So my advice is to set the float level as recommended, then if you have flooding
problems, fix the problem rather than trying to cover it up.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org