RE: [TR] New Radiator

To: "Bill & AnnaBelle" <anabil007@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: [TR] New Radiator
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 10:27:08 -0700
> The instructions say any  brass in the system must be avoided ...
> causes electrolysis. Replacing the bottom petcock will not be
> problem, but I am concerned about the heater valve, which is brass.
> Should I just remove it and replace with iron pipe fittings?

Makes sense to me, and it's already pipe threads.  You could even use one of
the later Smiths valves as fitted to TR4, etc.  This time of year, of
course, you could just stick a plug in, but I suppose it does get chilly in
the wintertime.

> Also the instructions call for a 17-19  psi pressure cap ... that
> sounds way high as the old ones are 4-7 lbs.  I hate to "assume" the
> the pressure only applies to the new radiator, but would  hate to see
> water pouring out of the head gasket.

The head gasket will have no problem, it has to retain pressures far higher
than 20 psi.  (In fact, even with a 4 psi cap, the water pressure inside the
head goes much higher.)  However, I would be concerned over the stock heater
core (assuming you still have one).  Those wide tubes are a weak point, and
I've seen several originals destroyed with over pressure.  Perhaps new ones
will hold that much pressure, but it seems like an area of concern to me.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org