[TR] bent parts / bad eyes???

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] bent parts / bad eyes???
From: "james mc arthur" <jrmcarthur@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 13:14:45 -0400
    Good Day to the list.....I have managed to get all the parts separated
from the left front suspension in preparation to rebuild. I found the groove
that was cut into the lower arm and will be replacing it. BUT......here's
the next question: Are these parts bent or are my eyes bad? When looking
close at the lower wishbone mounting brackets, they appear to be bent. The
sides of the bracket are not perpendicular to the back of the bracket. They
appear to be ever so slightly shy of perpendicular. It appears however, that
the bolt that goes through the wishbone IS perpendicular to the bolts that
hold the bracket to the frame.So, the question is : are the brackets
supposed to be slightly pre or post perpendicular in order to maintain the
front end geometry? OR, is all of this in my head. BOTH of the brackets are
this way.
    I had previously noticed that the sway bar linkage mounting bracket was
obviously bent and I thought that perhaps the car had been hit in it's
previous life. Perhaps this is more evidence that the car was hit??? I have
looked at the other side but cannot see anything noticeably wrong there. The
"bent (?)" condition was only noticed after everything was apart and being
cleaned.
    I had previously asked the list about lubing the bushings prior to
installation; I am using nylatron bushes. I contacted the fellow from whom I
purchased all of my parts (he does business on Ebay under the name of
bluechips2001. EXCELLENT service and very fair prices. NFI....just a good
reference). He has informed me that the bushings that I have were originally
designed and supplied by Richard Good; he went so far as to send me a copy
of Richard's article discussing the bushings, materials, etc. I can forward
the article to anyone interested. Thank you all for your anticipated
wisdom!.........Jim McArthur......TR6/CF17672U

===     http://www.vtr.org