Re: [TR] horns

To: jrmcarthur@verizon.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] horns
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 15:21:28 EDT
In a message dated 7/13/2006 12:59:24 PM Central Standard Time,
jrmcarthur@verizon.net writes:
>     Good Day to all........Although I am currently busy with the
> suspension,
> I have another question for those in the know. I was thumbing through the
> Bentley TR6 and noticed what may be the answer to ONE of those minor
> annoyances that my TR has. I have no horns. When hot wired, they DO work. I
> noticed in the drawing of the steering coupler on page 364.that there is a
> jumper wire going from the bottom of the steering wheel shaft to the top of
> the steering rack shaft through the rubber flex joint. If this wire is
> ABSENT, would this cause the horns to not function? If this is the case, it
> would be the EASIEST repair that I have had to do to date. PLEASE tell me it
> is so! Thanks to all..........Jim McArthur.....TR6/ CF17672U

Yes.  It is the ground connection for the horn push.  The horn push completes
the ground connection on the horn relay but without the wire around the
rubber coupling the electrons have nowhere to go and so just loiter at the end
of
the shaft annoying shop keepers and other potential customers.

Of course, another potential fault in this circuit is the spline connections
on the U-joint at the rack and the ground wire to the rack itself but the wire
on the coupling is the easiest of the three to check so start there.

Good luck

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org