RE: [TR] steering seals

To: "TriumphList" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] steering seals
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 19:10:49 -0700
> The seal (Moss #66 on their steering page) is non-exisitant on my exisiting
> steering.  I think it is an 'O' ring or 'draught excluder'.  Of course, I
> intend to replace it (i THINK).  It goes between the Idler lever and Idler
> bracket.  My real question is how do get the lever out of the bracket?  The
> diagram shows it as threaded so I am afraid to pull it.

You have to disconnect the lever from the steering, remove the bracket from the
car, and unscrew the lever from the bracket.  Possibly not worth it, if it's
otherwise in good shape.

>           Things looked too fragile under the driver's side, so I skipped
> replacing the seal that acts similar under the steering box (shown as Moss
> #45).  Am I asking for trouble?

They work completely differently, the idler arm "seal" just keeps dirt out of
the grease (more or less), while the steering box seal has to keep oil in the
steering box.  If it's leaking, I would definitely replace it.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org