RE: [TR] A-type OD separation from gearbox

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] A-type OD separation from gearbox
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 14:03:39 -0700
> There is a small gap, however, in the manual's disassembly
> procedure, and that's
> separating the OD from the gearbox. They do have the assembly
> procedure which
> requires some depression of plungers inside the OD as you slide
> it onto the
> output shaft of the gearbox.
>
> Is there a special procedure for splitting the two? Mine
> separated about 10mm or
> so before it stopped.

New one on me, Jeffrey.  Normally it just slides off and the pump plunger
snaps out as it slides off the cam.

You did relieve the hydraulic pressure first ?

> Apply more force or is there a trick?

I'd sure be cautious about applying more force.  They're kind of fragile and
expensive ...

Although I can't see how it could be caught, it might be worth pulling the
pump out.  That would ensure the problem is not that it's plunger is caught
on something.  If you do, be sure to remove the check ball in the side
first, as otherwise it will raise a burr on the pump that will ruin the
casting as it's pulled out.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org