RE: [TR] Re-using Silicon brake fluid?

To: Doug Odom <dlodom@charter.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Re-using Silicon brake fluid?
From: tr3driver@comcast.net (Randall)
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 16:29:33 +0000
From: "Mr RICK ORTHEN" <peketzu@verizon.net>
> It's a common misconception that silicone hydraulics don't need to be
> flushed/bled.  Moisture still accumulates in a silicone system, but instead
> of mixing with the fluid, the water simply pools in low spots.  This pooled
> water will corrode the brake pipe too.

Stuff and nonsense.  Anyone who has ever tried deliberately adding water to DOT
5 can see that the DOT 5 surrounds the water and prevents it from 'wetting' the
container.  And brake pipes are quite proof against internal corrosion from
water ... have to be, to stand up to glycol brake fluid (which turns acidic).

I've been using DOT 5 longer than I care to think about, I've never flushed a
system just to be flushing it (although admittedly my Triumphs rarely go 10
years without having some other form of hydraulic problem), and I have never
seen any evidence of moisture accumulation, or corrosion from it.

>  As far as recycling the silicone, I
> don't see a reason not to as long as the amount of time you spend doing so
> doesn't exceed the value of a new quart of the stuff AND you remove the
> water.

Absolutely trivial to remove the water, since unlike DOT 3/4/5.1, it absolutely
will not mix with the DOT 5.  Drain it into any container, wait just a few
seconds, and pour off the DOT 5 floating on the top.

But if ANYONE has been able to flush moisture out of a DOT 5 system, I sure
would like to hear about it.  I've been issuing this challenge for over 10
years now, and not ONE single report of first-hand observation.  And I don't
really care what your friend's second cousin's kid brother overheard someone
say in PE.

I still wouldn't suggest recycling it though, since it may pick up dirt and
whatnot coming through the bleed valves, bleed container, etc.  Just leave it
alone.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org