[TR] Re: Triumphtune covers

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Re: Triumphtune covers
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 21:55:11 +0100
Bob lang wrote:
The big problem getting a good seal on the cast covers is that the flange
is a tad larger than the pressed steel (stock) unit. I generally have to
soak the cork to get it pliable and then position it using clothespins
'till the cork dries then glue it similar to what was posted.
When they leak, it's usually because a corner of the cork shrinks enough
so that the square corner of the cast cover is exposed. Then it's leak
city.

The factory used a product called Wellseal as a general gasket jointing
compound. It's still available off the net on both sides of the pond. For UK
users, click on
http://www.burtonbikebits.net/jointing_compound.htm

For North America
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3304

To O ring the cover, I used two Honda motorcycle o rings that a lister
mentioned on this list back in about 1998. My engine, courtesy of Wellseal
and Honda only piddles out oil from the front crank seal and in all other
respects is embarrasingly dry :)

Jonmac

===     http://www.vtr.org