RE: [TR] Timing problem

To: <adearist@danriver.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Timing problem
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 18:23:28 -0700
> Now the car idles well
> but will not pull under load as it should.  If the accelerator is kept to
> the floor the car will hesitate not sputter and catch up after a few
> seconds.  When I describe hesitate, seems the engine wants to die.
> Things I've checked.  Rotor, cap, plug wires, condenser, fuel flow.

Have you checked the carburetor dashpots for oil and correct function ?
Remove the air filters, and lift the venturi pistons by hand.  You should
feel a very definite strong resistance to lifting them, but they should rise
smoothly and slowly to the top.  Then when you release them, they should
fall much quicker, and land with a definite click.

Your description sounds exactly like an engine with no oil in one or both
dashpots.  If your car has ZS carbs, there is an O-ring that gets old and
allows the oil to leak out.  (Only the British could come up with a
carburetor that leaks oil !)

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org