Re: [TR] 2 turns lock-to-lock?

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] 2 turns lock-to-lock?
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@notwires.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 15:12:16 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2006 1:27 PM

>> Answer will be found in the owner's manual.  Surely you have one?
>
> Just out of curiosity, Lou, where do you see that in the "owner's manual"
> ?
> And which book is that, exactly ?  AFAIK the factory never published a
> document called "owner's manual", although ISTR Floyd Clymer did.

Maybe Lou means the "Service Instruction" manual, which was produced by
Triumph for the TR2 with a TR3 supplement.  On page 6 of section G of mine,
it states that the the steering wheel turns approximately 2 1/4 turns lock
to lock.  It also states that the steering stops need to be set so that the
"back lock" is 31 degrees and the "front lock" is 28.5 degrees.  In both
cases, the angle is measured from the straight ahead position, which means
that the wheels are aligned for driving the car in a straight line.  The
wheels may not necessarily be parallel, because up to 1/8" toe-in is
allowed.  There is a Churchill tool for setting the adjustment (isn't there
always?), but if you don't have it I would think you could accomplish it by
scribing the appropriate lines on the garage floor and using a plumb bob to
set the wheel position, to take into account the camber changes as the wheel
is turned.  I don't think I have ever had to set mine, although I did check
once to make sure that the stops perform their function before the peg
reaches the end of the worm.

Michael Marr
1960 TR3A
2000 Jag XK8