RE: [TR] TR6 electrical diagnosis request

To: "Mark Hooper" <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>,
Subject: RE: [TR] TR6 electrical diagnosis request
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 18:35:24 -0700
> It was indeed very hot today, so I am thinking that I've cooked
> the alternator
> regulator. The alternator is an AC Delco type that I last had
> rebuilt in 1988.
>
> So, oh massed minds of the list, what thinkest thou?

I think you're on the right path.  But I would first check for anything that
might be shorting the "test" tab to ground.  I had a Delco go full-output on
me once, and it turned out to be a very fine piece of wire that had somehow
gotten sucked in and shorted that tab to ground.  Removing and cleaning the
regulator fixed it.

Don't know if they still do, but they used to sell "rebuild kits" for
$10-$15 for the common alternators.  Included diodes, front bearing, brushes
and regulator for the Delco units.  As I recall, the kit was about the same
price as just the regulator.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org