RE: [TR] Bentley Manual

To: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Bentley Manual
From: "C E White" <BN_Knight@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 15:31:38 -0400
Randall wrote:

Answers to all your questions can be found at :
http://www.bentleypublishers.com/triumph/index.htm

But note that these are just reprints of the original factory manuals; and
in spite of the titles, are generally not complete.  For example, I've not
seen that any of them include the factory "Spare Parts Catalogue", which is
a very useful document.  And the TR2-TR3 'Bentley' lacks the later editions
of the "Drivers Instruction Manual", which seems to be the only place the
factory documented the correct wiring diagrams for the later cars.

and Michael Porter wrote:

With the demise of Triumph, the original factory manuals have not been
available for a very long time.  Those rights reverted to British
Leyland, and eventually to the British Motoring Industry Heritage Trust
and museum.  Robert Bentley, publishers in Cambridge, MA, leased the
rights to reprint the factory manuals, which they have done periodically
over the years.

So, Bentley is the publisher, not the author of the manuals.  In most
cases, the pages of the original factory manuals have been reduced in
size, so that facing pages in the original are reduced to one page in
the Bentley format.

There are separate versions, but not all are currently available from
Bentley.  Most of the big three suppliers offer the Bentley manuals for
sale, or, if in print, directly from the publisher:

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/

Thank you, gentlemen.  That's just what I needed.  I already own reprints of
the Factory Workshop Manuals for my TR4A and GT6+ but didn't see anywhere on
them that they had been published by Bentley.  If fact, both of them say
they were published by Brookland Books Ltd and have no mention of Bentley at
all.  And I have the Original Technical Publications CDs from the Heritage
Motor Centre which have the Parts Catalogs and Owners Handbooks for the TR4A
and GT6+.  Looks like I'm all set!

Chuck White
Xenia, OH
1965 TR4A IRS