Re: [TR] Getting oil stain off an asphalt driveway

To: m.d.mackay@sympatico.ca, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Getting oil stain off an asphalt driveway
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 18:33:55 EDT
In a message dated 8/3/2006 7:30:13 PM Central Standard Time,
m.d.mackay@sympatico.ca writes:
> As soon as I noticed the oil, I mopped it up and tamped kitty litter on it.
> It didn't seem to make a difference. I've tried detergents, householder
> cleaners, and special grease cutters (like CHOMP). None seem to be doing any
> good.
>
> What would list members recommend for getting an oil stain off an asphalt
> driveway?

Asphalt is gravel held together with a petroleum product.  Oil (and gasoline)
will act as solvents and dilute and wash away the binding agent leaving a
discoloration that is more than surface staining.  Your only recourse may be to
reseal the driveway, at least in the effected area.  Fortunately, a 5 gallon
can is only $15 - 20.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org