[TR] Engine noises

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Engine noises
From: "Peter Ryner" <pryner@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 16:40:42 -0400
List,
I have a '56 TR-3 that I rebuilt 10 years ago.  I don't drive it a lot and
probably have 2-3K on the engine.  The last 2-3 times I drove the car I had
a squeak coming from the engine just after startup.  It would go away with
just a little throttle and not return.  Yesterday I took the car out and it
now has a high pitched intermittant knock just at shift RPM.  Almost sounded
like a valve hanging up so I pulled the rocker shaft.   I didn't find any
bent pushrods, all of the clearances look fine and the compression is a good
160 across the board.  With the plugs out and the rocker shaft back in I
turned the engine over with the starter and all valves are moving as they
should.  I left the valve cover loose and started the engine again.  It was
hard to get the knock as the RPM needs to be in the high range and it is
intermittant.  I was able to finally duplicate the noise, but it didn't
really sound like it is coming from the valve train.  It is definitely
coming from the front of the engine but I'm not convinced it is in the valve
train.  I guess it could be the timing chain, but this sounds more distinct
like a knock rather than a loose chain.

Anyone have any experiences that may help troubleshoot?  I really don't want
to tear the whole engine down not knowing if the problem is in the front or
the top.
TIA
Pete

===     http://www.vtr.org