Re: [TR] Soft Top comparison

To: "Bob Danielson" <75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org>
Subject: Re: [TR] Soft Top comparison
From: Ted <triumph66@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 15:14:12 -0400
Georgia TR's Jim Davis steered me to AA Best and their E-Z ON tops. Jim and
others believe E-Z ON makes a superior product at a better price.

AA Best sells (does not manufacture) tops from South Carolina manufacturer,
EZ ON.  After speaking with AA Best's Karl Neiswender last year, one of
these days I will get around to ordereing a Sonnedecke TR4A or zippered TR6
top.  I have a Robbins tonneau in sunfast (as they're the only stateside
firm making them I think) and a TRF Magic carpet sunfast boot cover, both
lovely.

I don't think I want a Robbins convertible top because of the way they fit
on  our cars' A posts (see below).  Tony Rhodes and others have shown me how
the fit there is problematic.  Other than that, Robbins tops are very well
made.

Through E-Z ON, AA Best offers some very nice vinyl and cloth options. They
also sell Sonnedecke canvas fabrics in addition to Haartz sunfast canvas.  I
think the Sonnedecke fabrics are a bit nicer, IMHO

Either see Karl's site, @  www.aabestco.com/about.ihtml or his eBay store @
stores.ebay.com/A-A-Best-co for more info on which E-Z ON tops he sells.
>From speaking with him last year, he gets great warranty service through EZ
ON, hence his generous warranty offer.

Neither Moss or TRF carries EZ-ON tops, or at least I know TRF doesn't (I
wish they did), see AA Best's website for prices or see his eBay site where
ISTR he offers his best prices.

NFI hope that helps,  TL

I don't think you can buy direct, but here are E-Z on's coords:
E-Z ON AUTO TOPS
PO BOX 130
124 DIAL ROAD
IVA, SC  29655
(800) 345-2886

FWIW, from one website, I found this
Convertible Tops and HardtopsWedgeparts has switched from Robbins to E-Z On
as our supplier for convertible tops. A number of customers (including
ourselves) have fit and appearance concerns with the Robbins top and it
seems that those who have approached Robbins about these issues have
generally been given the cold shoulder.

One of the biggest complaints against the Robbins top is the gap at the top
of the 'A' pillar. According to E-Z On, they were chosen by
Jaguar-Rover-Triumph as the supplier for warranty tops because E-Z On were
able to solve this problem. The second issue is that the Robbins top has an
extra attachment to the rearmost bow (unlike E-Z On as shown in the right
hand photo below) which prevents the top from being folded correctly as
described in the owners handbook.

--
T.L.L.
1966 TR4A CTC 73139 LO