RE: [TR] Heat from tunnel

To: "Ed Oot" <eoot@citlink.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Heat from tunnel
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 13:24:45 -0700
> Anyone have any suggestions on cutting down the amount of heat
> from the drive
> train tunnel (TR3A)? Any downside to insulating with appropriate
> automotive
> material under the carpeting?

I used some "water heater insulation" I found at Home Depot, consisting of
synthetic felt sandwiched between layers of foil (and I believe fiberglass
reinforcement).  Cut to shape and put underneath the carpet.

My plan was to eventually do the same thing with all the carpet (especially
on the firewall/bulkhead), but just doing the tunnel made such a big
difference that I never got motivated to finish the job.

Also critical is sealing up all the little air leaks that old cars seem to
inevitably accumulate.  My tunnel doesn't fit so well after all these years,
so I laid a bed of exterior-grade silicone caulk (also from HD) before
installing it.  Then I tried a strong light under the hood/bonnet, and under
the car, looking from inside the car for anyplace light could get through.
I sealed up all of them, in some cases using methods I'd rather not repeat
<G>

The treatment did wonders ... the tunnel carpet still gets somewhat warm to
the touch, but not at all hot, even in very hot weather.  Except when the
car is parked in the sun !

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org