RE: [TR] Sand / media blaster

To: "Chris Buckley" <chris.buckley@tz.knightfrank.com>,
Subject: RE: [TR] Sand / media blaster
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 13:29:44 -0700
> I am planning on ordering a sand blaster kit from UK on ebay.
>
> I want to use it with different media for different applications and
> materials. I have a small 24litre compressor. I will make my own blast
> cabinet. Please can you advise what to look for eg nozzle sizes working
> pressure range etc..

In that case, you want absolutely the smallest nozzle you can find.  Almost
certainly your compressor will not keep up with it for more than a few
seconds, but the smaller the nozzle, the longer you can run at a stretch.

Generally, most guns 'want' 90 psi, although it's not particularly critical.
But the energy of the blast media goes down rapidly with loss of pressure
... at 45 psi, my gun just kind of throws sand around without cutting
anything at all.

If you want to get more scientific about this, you'll need to know the
output of your compressor in (s)cfm.  (Compressors are always rated in scfm,
even when it only says "cfm")  At 90 psi, the difference between the cfm
your air gun will be rated at, and the cfm your compressor is rated at, is
roughly 7:1.  So a "4 cfm @ 90 psi" gun takes a "28 cfm @ 90 psi" compressor
for continuous operation.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org