RE: [TR] Replacing top ball joint & top A Arm bushings

To: <cfisher@borgwarner.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Replacing top ball joint & top A Arm bushings
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 13:43:47 -0700
> I'm about to replace the upper ball joint and the upper arm bushings on my
> TR3A. Reading the manual, I didn't see any mention of compressing the coil
> spring. Is the manual assuming that you have already removed the
> coil spring
> at this point, or is it not necessary to remove the coil spring?
>
> I want to know if I should order a spring compressor along with
> the bushings
> and top ball joint.

If you are only doing the upper ball joint & upper arm bushings, then there
is no need for a spring compressor.

Depending on the state of the rebound stop, you should normally need nothing
at all.  But if the stop is a little 'tired', you may need to stick a piece
of wood or something between the rebound stop and the lower arm, to get room
to remove the nut from the upper ball joint.  But a jack and a piece of wood
under the outer end of the lower A-arms should get you enough clearance to
insert the shim into the rebound stop.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org