Re: [TR] Starting an engine that's been sitting 5 years

To: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>,
Subject: Re: [TR] Starting an engine that's been sitting 5 years
From: emanteno@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:48:11 +0000
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>

> First, I know this has been covered a dozen times but I couldn't coax it
> from the archives.
>
> A coworker's husband has a '54 Austin Healey BN2. It's in fair shape,
> not restored but would be a good driver -- but he hasn't started it in
> five years. Before we try to turn it over, I know we should... nuts, I
> can't remember. How should I prepare this well rested engine for another
> try? Thanks in advance.

Steven,
Boat places sell stuff called fogging oil. It is used to fog the cylinders for
winter storage. I use it before I put my cars to bed for the winter. I like
using this stuff for awakening an engine from a long slumber, IMHO it is better
than WD-40. I squirt some into the cylinders, then turn the engine by hand with
the plugs out just to make sure things aren't frozen up in there. If it turns
freely by hand, I turn the engine on the starter, plugs out, until I get oil
pressure. Then, I put the plugs back in and start it up.
HTH,
Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
Highland Park, IL