RE: [TR] ignition wires, better battery?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [TR] ignition wires, better battery?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 20:09:01 -0700
> Because the Duralast brand wires from Autozone contained an extra wire, I
> dissected it.  Below the black rubberish 1/16 outercovering was a white
> plastic(?) that made up most of the diameter, but for a 1/16 black strand
> in the center.  Opening this strand revealed white plastic hairs or fibers.
> Nothing seemed metal.  Although these were tiny, I imagined that they were
> the conductor, surrounded by 2 black layers and one white layer of
> insulation.  Is this correct?

Hard to be sure without examining them in person, but my guess would be that the
black 1/16" strand is the conductor, and the white fibers in the center are some
sort of strength member (fiberglass, perhaps).

It's unlikely you will find metal-core wires at AutoZone (or similar).  If you
really want to be able to use AutoZone wires, then get a dizzy cap from a MGB or
similar, with push-in connectors instead of the standard insulation piercing
screws found on the original TR2-4 cap.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org