Re: [TR] ignition wires, better battery?

To: ZinkZ10C@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] ignition wires, better battery?
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 11:17:56 EDT
In a message dated 8/26/2006 10:07:59 PM Central Standard Time,
ZinkZ10C@aol.com writes:
> As a side note, cranking batteries have thin plates to give short bursts of
>
> high amps.   A battery that has high cranking amps won't always have a
> longer
> life than a lower amp battery if the high amp battery has extra thin plates.
>
> Deep cycle batteries for a golf cart have thick plates, this gives lower
> amps
> over a long period of time.
>
> A cranking battery used in a deep cycle app will suffer plate damage due to
> the thin plates.
>
> A deep cycle battery used in a cranking app won't deliver enough amps to
> reliably crank the motor.  ( unless the battery is extra large  )

True.  Cranking batteries are optomised to deliver cranking levels of current
whereas deep cycle batteries are optomised to tolerate deep cycling.
However, the amount of current the car needs to crank varies inversly with the
temperature and the current a battery is capable of delivering varies directly
with
the temperature.  In other words, a battery is sized to crank an engine at the
worst case conditions which is the cold end of the temperature range.  At
moderate temperatures the battery is oversized.

The net result is that a deepo cycle battery will work in most applications
during warm weather.  I have used a wheel chair battery (it was free) for a
couple of years in my TR6 with good results as long as I didn't try to drive in
cold weather.  Since many of us don't drive our TR's in cold weather a deep
cycle battery will probably not be a problem.

On the other hand, deep cycle batteris usually cost more (if you buy them
new) so why bother?

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org