RE: [TR] TR3 Overdrive Box

To: "William C. Quincy" <wquincy@cox.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3 Overdrive Box
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 13:59:08 -0700
> Im Having my overdrive transmition rebuilt and the rebuilder has
> suggested that considering the gunky look of the oil in the overdrive
> unit, that I should consider rebuilding the overdrive as well.  What
> are the considerations?
>   This trany has been on a shelf for years bought by the previous
> owner as a replacement for his blown unit. What risks would I be
> taking to drain and replace the lubricant
> and drive it.

Oh, only that of ruining your freshly rebuilt transmission, in addition to
further expensive damage to the overdrive !  Since the two units share oil,
any problems in one tend to lead to problems in the other.

Personally, I wouldn't dream of what you are proposing ... if the tranny
needs rebuilding, IMO it's foolish to not at least examine the overdrive.
Especially since you are going to have it halfway apart anyway (for the
tranny rebuild).

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org