RE: [TR] new and rusting?

To: "Harold Sawatsky" <hsawatsk@sasktel.net>,
Subject: RE: [TR] new and rusting?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 09:09:53 -0700
> If I pull the liners, what other processes will I have to undertake? Seems
> nothing is ever that simple.

It's up to you, and depends on what you find.  Pistons & connecting rods come
out first, so you'll get a look at the rod bearings ... I'd replace them too.
Pistons and rings (and liners) depends on what you find.  If you don't want to
remove the crank, you don't have to ... but there is going to be a lot of crud &
corruption fall on it, and you want to be very sure it's all gone before you
reassemble.  I covered the exposed journals with rags and tape, still spent a
long time cleaning.  (In my case, the engine was still in the car, and I didn't
want to pull it to R&R the crank.  Otherwise, I wouldn't have done it that way.)

Assuming the head is off for a reason; plus you have some reason to think the
cooling jacket needs cleaned ... most likely the short block needs freshening as
well.  But I'm just guessing, presumably you know more about the motor and what
condition it's in.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org