Re: [TR] Back for a visit

To: twakeman@razzolink.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Back for a visit
From: BearTranserv@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 14:30:37 EDT
Make me feel my age and mortality.......

Sometimes I think the stuff owns me instead of me owning the stuff.  A
friends father just died and left a house FULL of stuff...I'll call it stuff
and
not junk or collectibles.  Collectible and junk is in the eye of the  beholder.
 They had estate sales for three weeks to clean the house out,  and still
ended up throwing things away.

I know I already have more car projects than I can ever finish, but I'm
still dreaming of trying.  Heck, I cant even get the Midget started and I
think
it's only out of gas.

My other collectibles, junk...'er stuff, mostly antique western stuff, but
some military, guns, and woodworking tools, and artwork done in anothe life
time.  Who knows if my grandchildren will want any of it?

Robert Houston

In a message dated 10/12/2006 12:15:24 PM Mountain Standard Time,
twakeman@razzolink.com writes:

>  And the older
> and more mortal one feels the more  urgent it becomes to start more and
> more stuff on the "To do before I  die" list.  And my list is getting
> longer every  day.

I'm getting just the opposite.  There have been 3 people  die around me
(none I knew closer than aquantience) during the last couple  years.
I've watched their treasures treated like so much excess crap to  be
disposed of and collections scattered to the wind, some even to  the
dumpster.  I've seen people scam the good things that the  deceased
expected to go elsewhere and have decided that estate dissolution  is not
a pretty sight.

I'm questioning the value of collecting  things and of owning things I
don't use and enjoy a lot.  Each item we  have owns a piece of our time
to care for it.  What is the good of  maintaining something that will be
tossed to the winds after our deaths if  it is not something we use and
enjoy today?

So if anything, I'm  cutting down on having possessions for the sake of
having them.  I  guess my 'do before I die list' is focusing less on
owning items or vague  future projects and focusing more on going places
and doing things.   Gonna do one of these years type projects have
largely fallen away along  with lots of items that might come in handy
one of these  days.

Watching what happens to things after death changes ones  perspectives.

TeriAnn

Robert B.  Houston
Texan in New Mexico

63 TR4

As he stared at her ample  bosom, he daydreamed of the dual Stromberg
carburetors in his vintage  Triumph, highly functional yet pleasingly formed,
perched prominently on top of  the intake manifold, aching for experienced
hands, the small knurled caps of the  oil dampeners begging to be inspected and
adjusted as
described in chapter  seven of the shop manual.
Dan McKay

===     http://www.vtr.org