Re: [TR] Alternator

To: sagreenwood@earthlink.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Alternator
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 14:26:22 EST
In a message dated 12/2/2006 1:45:42 AM Central Standard Time,
sagreenwood@earthlink.net writes:
> Can anyone tell me an non Lucas alternator which will fit a 1980 TR8 with
> A/C.?
> I've heard that there is a Bosch 80/85 amp one that is virtually a bolt in
> fit.
> Need to known what car to quote at my local Napa etc or the actual
> alternator model number

You have several options.  Ted at TSI sells a conversion kit for mounting a
60 Amp Delco.  Or you can install 92 Saturn alternator.  The Saturn alternator
will require a pully swap, clocking (rotating the front housing in relation
with the rear) and some minor wiring mods.  But it is a 90 Amp model.  Either
should be available anywhere, anytime so a failure on the road is a recoverable
event.

Ted Jankowski documented his TR7 conversion.  The only difference in
converting a TR8 is the clocking of the alternator.  But I forget where it is
posted.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org