[TR] 1963 TR4: First two months and ongoing Exhaust thump

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] 1963 TR4: First two months and ongoing Exhaust thump
From: Brian Jones <banc8004@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 15:56:15 -0500
My first two months with my TR4 - my first introduction to four-
wheeled Triumphs - has been great fun and with a few modest
successes. My car now idles reasonably well following new engine
ground, distributor cap, HT leads, points and rotor, oh and
replacement  of damaged needles in the carbs. My fan, lights switch
and turn signals now all work again. My headlights point where they
will do me most good, and I've new rubber on each corner. I've
repaired damage to my bonnet: The PO had headlight stone-guards
installed and the poorly (low) fitted bonnet caught its return lip
when closing, with ugly results. I have also cured the drumming noise
with the soft-top. My webbing straps were the 'correct' length from
the rear hood stick to the connector (21.25 inches) but I apparently
have an oversize roof. Refitting the webbing strips across all three
sticks and with ~20.25" at the rear gives me a taut roof and normal
road noise. The drumming noise has gone completely. Its amazing the
difference an inch makes

I have a continuing issue with exhaust thump. On startup, and switch -
off, and sometimes even at idle, the exhaust pipe connects with the
car chassis where it passes through the waist of the 'X'. I do not
know how this exhaust should be constructed, or if this is just
Meineke's finest. I can see that there is very little play between
the pipe and the walls of the 'X'. Does the TR4 exhaust system
comprise a narrower pipe as it passes through this narrow waist in
the chassis, or is there some other trick?

I would very much appreciate any advice on fixing the thump.

Cheers all,

Brian
63 TR4
Valley Forge, PA