Re: [TR] 1963 TR4: First two months and ongoing Exhaust thump

To: Brian Jones <banc8004@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] 1963 TR4: First two months and ongoing Exhaust thump
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 16:58:16 -0500
On Sunday 03 December 2006 03:56 pm, Brian Jones wrote:

> I have a continuing issue with exhaust thump. On startup, and switch -
> off, and sometimes even at idle, the exhaust pipe connects with the
> car chassis where it passes through the waist of the 'X'. I do not
> know how this exhaust should be constructed, or if this is just
> Meineke's finest. I can see that there is very little play between
> the pipe and the walls of the 'X'. Does the TR4 exhaust system
> comprise a narrower pipe as it passes through this narrow waist in
> the chassis, or is there some other trick?
>
> I would very much appreciate any advice on fixing the thump.
>
> Cheers all,
>
> Brian
> 63 TR4
> Valley Forge, PA

Brian,

Is your front pipe to center mufler fitted with the factory hanger/clamp? This
is the part that fits to the transmission mount bolt on the passenger side.

If not that could be a reason it is hitting passing through the frame X.

Before I installed my system, I wrapped the center  muffler front pipe with
multiple layers of fiberglass cloth to cut down on heat transfer to the frame
and insulate from vibration. Using the factory hanger/clamp you can insure
there is a tight fit at that point and the assembly doesnt vibrate.

To my knowledge the pipe diameter is no different the entire length of the
system.

Bob