[TR] TR4 w/ Moss TOB

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR4 w/ Moss TOB
From: Geo & Kathleen Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 08:18:57 -0700
Last January I replaced the clutch and also the Release Bearing
(throw-out bearing) while I was in there.  Parts came from Moss.

This week as I took things apart to switch to an overdrive gearbox I
examined the bearing and noted 2 things:

1.  It has thrown a fair amount of its whitish grease... I have a nice
'bath-tub ring' of whitish grease around the inside of the bell-housing.

2.  The bearing now has a lot of play in it... back & forth and
side-to-side.  Putting pressure on it brings the inner & outer races
together against the rollers so in its 'working position' there is no play.

Is this a normal state of affairs or is this a sign of a throw-out
bearing that is doomed for early failure?

By way of comparison, the races in the bearing I removed back in January
are snug (no play) and had no evidence of grease escaping.

The Moss part has less than 5,000 miles on it and I was careful to
select a highly regarded machine shop for the task of pressing the
bearing onto the sleeve.

Thanks for any advice.

Geo Hahn

===     http://www.vtr.org