RE: [TR] How do you test for a faulty vacuum brake assist?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] How do you test for a faulty vacuum brake assist?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 08:24:30 -0800
> Right now using the brakes causes the idle to drop off.  Should I disconnect
> the vacuum hose to the brake unit and plug it both ways and then see if the
> idle is affected?  If the idle is then OK, I guess that would say that the
> brake unit is bad.  Any ideas?

The usual way of testing the brake servo is to start the engine, let it idle for
a few seconds and shut it off without touching the brake pedal.  Depress the
brake pedal and pay attention to how far down it goes.  Press it several more
times, it should get noticeably higher.  Then hold it while starting the engine,
and it should drop when the engine starts.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org