Re: [TR] TR3 Clutch Fork Mod.

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Clutch Fork Mod.
From: Geo & Kathleen Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 18:22:49 -0700
William C. Quincy wrote:

> Some time ago I read about a clutch fork mod that seem a good idea if
> you had the fork exposed fore some other reason.  It was suggested to
> drill a hole through the fork and shaft, install  a 5 mm bolt and
> nylock nut to insure reliability. Is this a good idea? If so, could
> someone please elaborate on the details.

I used a 1/4" grade 8 fine thread, 2" long, shortened to about 1 5/16".
You want the 2" bolt so the shank is 1" long... thus the threads of the
bolt don't chafe the hole in the fork or shaft.  I used a self-locking
nut (also grade 8).

The attached pics show the result.  The parts are disassembled as I have
the shaft out for transfer to a new gearbox... when I originally did the
cross-bolt thing I just drilled it with a hand drill with the shaft,
fork & fork pin in situ.

Lest you think this is just a 'suspenders & belt' approach... the 3rd
pic shows the fork pin that I removed alongside the new one.  It came
out unbroken but there is an definitive curve in its shape.

Geo H

MVC-344F.JPG]

MVC-346F.JPG]

MVC-347F.JPG]