RE: [TR] Leaf springs and dampers

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Leaf springs and dampers
From: "rgt2" <rgt2@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 17:24:19 -0800
I am not so sure that checking fluid level will tell if a lever arm damper
is good or not.  when I rebuilt my TR3B the dampers looked good.  I flushed
them out and refilled with fluid.  On the bench I could not tell any
difference between them and all looked and felt good.  Once I got the car on
the road I started chasing a banging noise on some bumps that seemed to be
coming from the rear.  I repositioned the exhaust among other things without
any luck.  One morning I noticed a small puddle inside the left rear wheel
and thought that I had a bad wheel cylinder.  On checking further I found it
to be damper fluid.  I ended up buying two dampers from Moss and after
installing my banging went away and the ride was much better.

Rod
62 TR3B  TCF1037L