Re: [TR] Tenax id

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Tenax id
From: Geo & Kathleen Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 09:47:04 -0700
Jim Wallace wrote:

>I need some help identifying which tenax fasteners go where on my >60K TR3a:

I think those are Lift-the-Dot fasteners.  Tenax are the ones along the
top of the windscreen frame.

>My next step on the car assembly is the capping piece that goes along the
>top of the dash.
>Which ones in the picture do I use?

The ones with the sheet metal screw thread are what were used on my
pre60K TR3A.

>Also, there are a couple of the style that take a nut, where the threaded
>part is longer - where do these ones go?

Those are probably for the two LTD pegs that secure the rear top
webbing... the webbing is secured with a plate held by a LTD and a
pan-head machine screw.  I do not see the machine screw in your pic.

>Then there are some that are self-tapping; do these go in the doors?

That (and the dash rail) are where they are on mine.  OTOH, there aren't
enough for both places... possibly the post 60K cars used machine screws
in the door as (I think) they did not have the wooden top piece to screw
into.

>And what are the three srews on the left for?

No idea.  Maybe they were used in place of the pan-heads but that would
only account for 2 and oval-heads would have looked strange there.

If it was me (or... when it was me) I sprang for all new hardware here.
I have had no problem finding these at any Ace hardware though in
quantity you may have to go to more than one... and of course the Big 3
have them.  Really, these are pretty noticeable on the car and new ones
look much better.  The new ones may be a bit taller that the ones in
your pic but I have not known that to be a problem.  A plastic washer
under each peg that goes against paintwork will also go a long way to
preventing scratches when you install & use them.

Geo

===     http://www.vtr.org