Re: [TR] Tops of the 3B's Frame

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Tops of the 3B's Frame
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 18:02:08 EST
Well,
The report on the rolling chassis in a few words: Not real bad!  I  actually
see at least 4 or 5 square inches of shinny gloss black!  No  serious rust
holes or anything so all is well with the Ole Lady TR3B's  Frame. Not bad for
being under there for what, 44 years. A few issues  with bent up things:  The
driver's side front suspension bump  stop bracket is way bent up and distorted.

Now this is the car that was  hit right under the driver's side frame rail
real good at one time in it's  life. I had the smashed part in front fixed long
ago but have long been  suspicious that the frame is twisted as a result of
this  hit.

The Ole Lady steers real hard and I am questioning whether a twisted frame
is contributing to that all the while knowing that TR3's are going to steer
hard  as a matter on design. All steering and suspension components have been
rebuilt and will be gone thru again. I am aware of the exact frame measurements

provided in various manuals but has anyone done this procedure of checking
for frame straitness? Should I take the bare frame to a professional?

Other than that, here I am wondering if I should strip it and paint it or
have it powder coated? I have been told that powder coating will cost  around
$500.  That is not bad all things considered. But I am still am a  Spray Can
Type Guy by nature and Eastwood has some new products out there that I  could
do
myself without the hassle of stripping the frame down to nothing,  hauling it
around and waiting for it to be done.

That is the Good News.  The Bad News is condition of the Ole  Ladies' Body.
That will have to wait for another post but as I write the poor  girl is headed
towards the media blaster. It is kind of sad to  see boxes of TR3B instead of
a running Ole Lady! I want her back ASAP.

Regards,
Darrell

===     http://www.vtr.org