Resent: Re: [TR] Converting TR3A to rack and pinon

To: DLylis@aol.com
Subject: Resent: Re: [TR] Converting TR3A to rack and pinon
From: Bob Westerdale <Bob.Westerdale@ametek.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 10:06:57 -0500
Here ya go-

Hi-
        I bought and installed Ted's kit about 8-10 years ago and  am
quite satisfied with the results.  You'll have to take the front apron
off, radiator, front crankshaft fan extension,  and the old steering box (
+ etc.).   The steering arms need to be removed and switched L-R ( and
upside down ISTR).  You may or may not be able to do this without taking
off the disks,  the bolts are supposed to have locking tabs to hold em in
place,  mine were missing.  ( they will spin freely without the tabs, and
wrenching won't work.)   I used an upper steering column from an older
Spit, ( GT6??) and married it to the rack  via the U-joint supplied with
the kit.   Sounds scary, but isn't too bad if you take your time and pay
attention to details.   I wired up the turn signals, dipperswitch and horn
without any drama, and picked up a nice woodrim wheel ( possibly an XKE
unit) and fitted that to the Spit-wheel's hub.  I believe Ted has a more
standard set of parts for this end of the job,  best to call him to
discuss.   The rack is new,  from a Minicooper  ( a real one,..!)  and the
car drives very nicely.  Zero slop, the ratio is almost perfect ( I'd have
preferred just a little bit quicker, but it is NOT a problem in the
least!!!!)  and the control over the car is,  IMHO better than anyone's
original peg and worm stuff.
        If you've been able to struggle through most of the usual TR3
repairs, this kit shouldn't be too much of a challenge.   Don't rush the
job, and ask questions either here on the list or to Ted directly.   He is
a decent guy, and of course has plenty of experience with these projects.
Good Luck,
        Bob Westerdale
        59 3A  TS36967

DLylis@aol.com
Sent by: owner-triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
12/14/2006 07:04 PM
Please respond to
DLylis@aol.com

triumphs@autox.team.net
cc

Subject
[TR] Coverting TR3A to rack and pinon

Thanks to all who responded to my request for information on the  above.
Unfortunately, in a weak moment I deleted all the messages I was  saving.
Could
those who responded please send me the info again?   Thanks and I am
sorry.

David Lylis
69 TR6 CC26160l
60 TR3A TS74461LO