[TR] TR3 Color Codes and Signal Red

To: DLylis@aol.com
Subject: [TR] TR3 Color Codes and Signal Red
From: Brian Thomas <thomasb@post.queensu.ca>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 13:38:02 -0500
Hi,

At 07:12 AM 2006-12-26, DLylis wrote:
>Anyone know what the PPG code is for Signal  Red?

Interesting question which I see others have already provided a answer for.

My experience with Signal Red goes back to 1975 when I first wanted
to repaint my 1956 TR3.  This wasn't a problem then for the paint
shop and an appropriate amount of Dupont enamel was mixed.

In 1989, it was time to redo the job "right" and this time, while the
formula was available,  two of the "tints" used were NOT.  The shop
mixed the paint (I believe by trial and error) until they were able
to match to my spare tire cover.

A friend about this time wanted to paint his TR6 Signal Red but
didn't want any hassles with touch up.  As we were daily "runners" at
the time, we took a piece of masking tape painted with MY Signal Red
and visited various new car dealers checking out their REDS.

It turned out Madza's Sunrise Red is an exact match to MY Signal Red
and to this day, I continue to use a Sunset Red paint stick to touch
up the TR3!

So, my recommendation is to go with a CURRENT colour that matches (or
you like) and as someone else pointed out (Darryl?),   when you take
your car to a show featuring many other Signal Red TR3's, each of
them will have a slightly different hue yet all will argue
strenuously that the colour is Signal Red.

If anyone would like to see a pic of our TR3 in Signal Red, let me
know and I'll email you a copy off-line.

Cheers,

Brian

Brian S. Thomas e-mail: ThomasB@Post.QueensU.Ca
Holliday Point          work:   613-533-2228
R R 1                   fax:    613-385-1948
Wolfe Island, Ontario   home:   613-385-1947
K0H 2Y0         toys:   54 TR2, 56 TR3, 67 TR4A, 80 TR8, 52 Ferguson TEA20

===     http://www.vtr.org