RE: [TR] TR3 Instrument Panel

To: <TRDOCTOR@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3 Instrument Panel
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 11:03:43 -0800
> When I took the switches out to powder coat the panel  itself I made
> a drawing
> of the locations of the switches.  They were, from  top to bottom, Panel,
> Wiper, Side/Head, and Key.  Some of the drawings I  have looked at
> show that it
> should be:  Wiper, Panel, Side/Head, and  Key.  Which is correct?

It's different depending on whether your car is equipped with a dimmer for the
panel lights or not.  Cars with a switch instead of a dimmer had the dash light
switch in the top position.  Note that the panel itself is also different, as
the dimmer takes a bigger hole than the switch.  So, if your panel has the same
size hole in the top two locations, it's likely your car originally had a switch
and therefore it goes in the top hole.  If the second hole is noticeably larger,
then it was originally equipped with a dimmer in the second hole, and the wiper
switch goes at the top.

BTW, the dimmer also takes a different knob, with the little arrows on it.

My cars have all had switches, and I've never felt the lack of a dimmer.  The
switch implements 'dim' and 'off' just fine, I've never felt the need for
'flicker' <G>

(However, that said, I do on rare occasions use the switch, like country roads
on a moonless night.)

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org