[TR] New Year's Weather; low compression question

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] New Year's Weather; low compression question
From: Brian Jones <brianjone5@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 01:12:16 -0500
 > > The garage lights goes on, throwing slashes of white reflections
over
 > > the polished car. The driver pulls on a warm coat; its collar is
 > > lifted against the winds to come. Hands slip into thin leather
 > > gloves. The driver's door opens with a familiar click-thunk.

 > Brian:
 > Beautiful!
 > Click-thunk of opening door, thin chrome handle to swing door,
dash mounted
 > light switch and a pull on the hand brake all say TR4!

 > I am closely watching Monday's forecast in my attempt to duplicate
this
 > story!

 > Lou Metelko
 > Auburn, Indiana

Thanks Lou, I hope you can. According to the Weather Trackers as I
write this, you've a decent opportunity on Monday morning.

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/forecast-hourly.asp?
partner=apple&traveler=1&zipChg=1&zipcode=46706&metric=0&hbhday=3&hbhhou
r=7

I have rain on and off all day. Hell, it could / should be snow, so
being New Year's Day and all, I may break my no-driving-the-TR-in-the-
rain rule.

Now there's a New Year's  Resolution I can live with...

Something I have decided not to live with is low compression in
cylinder #1. Its been an issue since this car joined the family 3
months ago. I intend to fix this when winter finally arrives. I took
compression readings yesterday: 100, 145, 143, 148. I added a
tablespoon of oil to #1 and got a reading of 102 lb., so some
improvement, but the issue is not due to worn rings. A potted history
of the car: 84,000 miles; stored last two years; only 3,500 miles
since 1992 when PO acquired it. (Its done 1,000 miles since
September, going nowhere in particular.)

So I have low compression in #1, I can hear a tappet clapping away, I
have an irregular idle, and a pulsing at the muffler pipe. That would
lead me to a malfunctioning exhaust valve, that may be:

* a badly adjusted tappet (I know I have one, but that may or may not
be the cause)
* a broken lifter spring
* a worn or damaged cam lobe
* carbon buildup on the valve
* a damaged valve / valve seat.

Would anyone suggest a different issue as the cause of the low
compression? I don't have anything but oil where oil should be, and
only one cylinder is low, so rightly or wrongly, I'm discounting
cracks in the head - please let me know if I'm missing something.

Of the possible causes above, would your experience lead you to a
most-likely cause? I'm keeping fingers crossed for tappet adjustment
or carbon on #1 exhaust valve.

Meanwhile, I'll order Mr Wagner's silicone gasket.

Which reminds me. The PO used some sort of silicone goup/caulk to
seal, and adhere, the valve cover. Does anyone have any advice on how
to break this seal/gasket?

With thanks,

Brian Jones
Valley Forge, PA