RE: [TR] TR6 exhaust gasket

To: "'TR'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR6 exhaust gasket
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 15:55:57 -0800
> List, I have finally traced my exhaust noise to the gasket that lies
> horizontally between the exhaust manifold and the down pipe. Having taken it
> off and scraped at the two surfaces, they do not feel particularly smooth
> and even. How critical is it that the surfaces are perfect?

They don't have to be particularly smooth, but they do need to be reasonably
flat.  The gasket will allow for imperfections to a total of .010" or so.  If
you can get the studs out, you can dress the surfaces with a file.

> Can, or should,
> I put some kind of sealant on the gasket when I install a new one?

I never do.  I do use high temp anti-seize on the studs, and new lockwashers
every time, though.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org