[TR] Need method for welding floorpans

To: list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Need method for welding floorpans
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 0:33:58 -0500
List,
Soon I will return to welding in my floorpan as the sills are about finished
on the driver's side.  I think the procedure that I will use is the
following:
1. Drill numerous 3/16" holes in the floorpan's turned-up edge (drill holes
about every 2" apart)
QUESTION: IF I DO THIS, CAN I GET BY WITH LIMITED PAINT REMOVAL ON MY
POWDERCOATED FLOORPANS?
2. Since the floorpan has already been trial fitted, can I drill these holes
in the floorpan before I reinstall it in the car?  (This will keep me from
drilling into the final base metal of the sill, etc. which the plug weld holes
will be mig welded full).
3. Lastly, Seam weld top edge of floorpan doing so only 1" at a time, and
skipping sections to keep from warping metal due to heat.
        IS THIS METHOD OVER-KILL?  SHOULD I ELECT either PLUG OR SEAM WELDING?
If I
don't seam weld, then air might come thru, right?

        thanks,
        Paul Dorsey
        60 TR3A

===     http://www.vtr.org