Re: [TR] Motor rebuild?

To: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Motor rebuild?
From: Harold Sawatsky <hsawatsk@sasktel.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 15:40:36 -0600

>> The question is what should I do with the engine before I put it back
>> together and drop it in? Still on the engine stand.
>
> Guess it depends to some extent on whether you're willing to take a chance
> on
> needing to pull it again.
>
> Things I would do :
>
> Change front crank seal (they get hard with time)

I have a 'Front Oil Seal' from TRF part #104662 - is this what you are
referring to?

> change fuel pump diaphragm (original diaphragms will not stand up to
> modern
> fuel)
The original owner had switched to an electric pump. I was considering going
back to the original pump but not sure if
there is a benefit. Opinion?

> Test (or replace) thermostat -

A lot of discussion about sleeved or not sleeved. Is this a thermostat that
has a complete sleeve around
the core or is it a partial sleeve? I have a couple of 'Smith's' brand that
came with the car. I did buy a new one from TRF but it has temporarily
disappeared in one of my parts drawers. The only time the car overheated was
going up some of the steep grades in CA
years ago middle of summer. Have a new 6 bladed fan that hopefully takes
care of any overheating problems. What is the best solution for overheating
issues?

> Have radiator checked professionally. - Done
> Lubricate everything (like the distributor & generator)
> Replace all the seals in the carbs, plus the springs for the choke & jet
> glands.

I have some carb kits that are probably 8 - 10 years old. Will they suffice?

> Otherwise, if you're sure it wasn't "tired" when you pulled it (funny how
> our
> standards can change over the years), just put it back in.

The only thing tired is me! I did a lot of dismantling 20 yeras ago so I
hope there aren't too many parts left over.

Thanks

===     http://www.vtr.org