[TR] Thoughts on making a teardrop camping trailer for the TR4

To: list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Thoughts on making a teardrop camping trailer for the TR4
From: "Chris Simonsen" <ccsimonsen@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 07:17:01 -0500
I went to a few Triumph and british car gatherings last year after several
years of inactivity.

I did not realize how much I missed the adventure getting there,  and the
the fun and the people who love these cars, once I got there.

Even though Fred directed me to a very glamorous hotel during last years
summer party,  I have the camping bug.  At almost every event I went to,  I
ended up in the evening at some camp site at least for a little while.

I've seen a Mini towing a Mini Bar (back half of a mini with a pony keg,etc)
 at the Gathering,  A GT6 towing a mini GT6 at the summer party last year,
and a lot of tents.    I'm thinking about building a fun low profile light
weight teardrop trailer that was common in the 40's and 50's.   I'm wonderig
what the list thinks the practical practical in terms of overall weight,
toungue weight (Dave will probably have a comment about this), hitch
mounting points.  I do not want to build a trailer the TR can't pull with
some reliability (an added oil cooler is probably a good thing to consider).

Similar to this:

http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/teardrop/tear22.htm

I would love to hear any comments, suggestions or concerns.   I saw a
vertical hitch for the Miata I may try to replicate for the TR  - from the
pictures it looks completely out of site when the drawbar is removed.

Thanks!!!

Chris

===     http://www.vtr.org