Re: [TR] welding shut a gapping hole?

To: Paul Dorsey <dorpaul@negia.net>, list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] welding shut a gapping hole?
From: Charlie Schlismann <racegt6@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 20:36:20 -0800 (PST)
--- Paul Dorsey <dorpaul@negia.net> wrote:

> I welded a cover plate over the open end of my TR3's
> inner sill.  I  used 18-20 ga. stainless steel.  I
got a couple of  places too hot (evidenced
> by gray-black acne-like spots at those locations
> only.)  I must be holding the
> nozzle too long in one spot because 1/8" hole
> 'opened up' in the middle.
> After waiting several minutes I went to weld it
> closed, but that caused it to
> gap open 1/4".  How will I be able to close this
> gapping hole?

Paul,

You're welding stainless?  Stainless to mild?  What
wire/gas combo are you using?

This sounds scary to me; might not be the ideal
project to learn how to weld.

Regardless, if you are hole-ing out, you can fix a
hole by adding small, short duration tack welds.
Tack, tack, tack and the hole is filled.

Honestly, practice on scrap (same material); burn a
hole and try to fill it in with tack welds. Adjust
your machine settings as appropriate. I always teach
my welders to concentrate and use their eyes: watch,
watch, watch.

If you get good at it, really good, you'll have
minimal grinding when finished.

I don't understand why you are using stainless, surely
you can find scrap mild to do the job.

Just my thoughts and need more info to help,

Charlie

===     http://www.vtr.org