[TR] welding shut a gapping hole?

To: list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] welding shut a gapping hole?
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 22:53:20 -0500
List,
I am trying to become a welder and wonder if you can help me?

I welded a cover plate over the open end of my TR3's inner sill.  (I left a
recessed opening for ventilation in order that condensation will escape).  I
used 18-20 ga. stainless steel.  I got a couple of places too hot (evidenced
by gray-black acne-like spots at those locations only.)  I must be holding the
nozzle too long in one spot because 1/8" hole 'opened up' in the middle.
After waiting several minutes I went to weld it closed, but that caused it to
gap open 1/4".  How will I be able to close this gapping hole?

Thanks,
Paul Dorsey
60 TR3

===     http://www.vtr.org