[TR] Re: welding shut a gapping hole?

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Re: welding shut a gapping hole?
From: "Tom Wirt @ Claycoyote" <twirt@claycoyote.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 08:25:04 -0600
> List,
> I am trying to become a welder and wonder if you can help me?
>
> I welded a cover plate over the open end of my TR3's inner sill.  (I left
> recessed opening for ventilation in order that condensation will escape).
> used 18-20 ga. stainless steel.  I got a couple of places too hot
> (evidenced
> by gray-black acne-like spots at those locations only.)  I must be holding
> the

Paul,  I am not a welder, but my neighbor is...a welding instructor, welded
pipelines, etc., etc., for over 40 years.  From him I get that welding
stainless takes different rod or wire, different techniques, and you have to
be pretty good to try to weld stainless to steel.  Issues seem to be,
besides the rod, getting the amperage perfect, torch speed, getting the heat
deep enough to actually melt all the way through without burning holes.
Trying steel to stainless the problem is that you have metals with different
melt points and composition.  He says it can be done, but is very difficult.
The problem is that a bad weld will appear OK at first, and fail later.

Wish I could be more help.

Tom Wirt
TS 77810 L is running again after years.

===     http://www.vtr.org