Re: [TR] Which club to join? SVRA, VSCDA, SCCA, VTR, BRIC ?

To: "Daehler, William F" <william.f.daehler@delphi.com>,
Subject: Re: [TR] Which club to join? SVRA, VSCDA, SCCA, VTR, BRIC ?
From: emanteno@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 16:30:05 +0000
From: "Daehler, William F" <william.f.daehler@delphi.com>

> Listers,
>
> What's up with all these different organizations? Are they competing
> with each other? My car is not race ready, and I'm not a licensed race
> driver, but I certainly am developing a curiosity, and want to start
> somewhere.
It depends on what you want to do. Here is the over-simplified version:
SCCA is a professional and amateur racing organization, and they are mostly
into current era cars. Many of their regions offer vintage race events, but
none are near you in Wisconsin. If you wish to race current era, in order to be
competitive in SCCA you should be working on a Spitfire. The SCCA rules have
been written to favor newer cars from car companies that still exist
(sponsorship $$$), making the TR series of cars essentially uncompetitive in
SCCA road racing. The Spitfire, with its brilliant chassis design, is still a
nationally competitive car in its class. Full race Spits are amazingly fast
road racers.
VTR is the national TRiumph club for all TRiumph models. They have a national
convention and many regional conventions, and there are many local chapters
that host local TRiumph activities. There is no VTR sponsored wheel to wheel
racing.
BRIC is the Brian Redman International Challenge, a huge vintage race weekend
held at Road America every July. It used to be known as the Chicago Historic
Races, and may no longer be called the BRIC, depending on where the sponsorship
$$ are coming from. This is a huge event, with over 500 vintage race cars and
thousands of spectators in attendance.
SVRA and VSCDA are vintage race organizations. Road racing older cars is what
they feature. VSCDA is midwest based, and has a large TRiumph race contingent.
They hold race events at Road America, Blackhawk Farms, Gingerman Raceway,
Grattan, and Mid Ohio. SVRA is more of a national group than VSCDA, and will be
in charge of the spring Road America race featuring the Morgan, TRiumph,
Austin-Healey Challenge in May, as well as the BRIC in July. Typically, you can
do lunch time touring at VSCDA and/or SVRA events for a fee, assuming your car
passes a safety inspection.
HTH,
Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U