[TR] WELDING HOLES SHUT

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] WELDING HOLES SHUT
From: "james mc arthur" <jrmcarthur@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 15:37:37 -0500
    Good Day to all on the list........I am a certified welder by trade, but
am about 10 years out of practice. When I was in the trade, most of my
welding was stick. Whenever I welded stainless material, I used a wire made
by Certanium and it was specifically made for stainless. This was to
maintain the properties of the parent metal. You can(or could) weld mild
steel to stainless but you had to use a stainless compatible wire. To my
knowledge, the same holds true for MIG.
    As far as welding holes shut, the gent that suggested a series of tacks
is correct. Timing is important. You have to allow each tack to cool a
little before adding another tack, otherwise, the whole mess will just drop
out from the metal reaching the temperature at which it becomes fluid.
    Welding automobile sheet metal is tricky to say the least, but a MIG
setup using C25 gas (argon & CO2) and the proper heat and wire speed
settings can do a very serviceable job. It all depends on heat and speed;
heat determines how fast the wire is 'burnt' and the penetration/deposition
rates.
    Hope it helps. Oh, the MOST important ingredient in a successful weld is
PATIENCE.

===     http://www.vtr.org