RE: [TR] Trying to hook up a gear drive starter

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Trying to hook up a gear drive starter
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 22:09:46 -0800
> My good friend has a '75 or '76 TR6 and he is trying to hook up one of the
> gear drive starters with the single spade terminal on the solenoid.  His
> previous stock starter had two spade terminals and screw on terminal going
> to the solenoid.  How is this rewired for the aftermarket gear drive
> starter?  In both cases, I am not mentioning the main lead from the battery
> since there is no problem there.  Thanks for any help.

If it's a 75 TR6, then just connect the white/red wire to the new solenoid and
you're done.  Should be no other wires at the starter to worry about ... the
extra terminal is only used on other years (like the 76).

If it's a 76, then the easiest thing is to connect the white/red as above, and
leave the white/yellow wire disconnected (but taped up so it can't short to
anything).  That disables the feature that supplies full battery voltage to the
coil during cranking, but with that new starter I doubt you'll notice the
difference.  You can either leave the white/orange disconnected (which will
disable the "bulb test" function, but I doubt you'll miss that either), or

However, I prefer to use a relay to control the solenoid, since it draws a fair
amount of current (I measured 12 amps on my TR3A) which may shorten the life of
the ignition switch.  If you want, you could even use the starter relay from a
75 TR6, which has an extra output that can be used to provide the extra boost to
the coil.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org