Re: [TR] SMITHS (TR4 Temperature Transmitters)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] SMITHS (TR4 Temperature Transmitters)
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 22:06:52 EST
Thanks Mark,

I like that resistance calculator link.. www.1728.com/resistrs.htm

Here's what I did this last hour ... since I had already had cut open several
SMITHS temp transmitters (ie; cut crimping off, pulled terminal, removed
spring, paper, rod, and wafer). The wafers are silvered both sides and ID
stamped,
A, B, C, D or E .. to indicate resistance. I simply cleaned the dirty
contacts and tested each wafer in cleaned housing till I got one to read
between 27.9
to 35.7 ohms in boiling water (only one 'C' wafer passed test).
Reassembled and sealed terminal-end with high temp silicone and dinged edges
for tight fit - now I have a restored SMITHS TT3804/00A - what a way to save
$9!

I am familiar with your 'hiss and vapor' mode of determining the state of an
engine but I don't want to be followed home by firetrucks again - that was
embarassing!

Ps; how the heck didn't I see your awsome restored Sprite and 4A before this??

Regrds,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

Carl,
Maybe a parallel resistor would bring it back in line.  Here is a calculator
link.  http://www.1728.com/resistrs.htm
If your sender measures 42 ohms at 212 and you want it to read 33 ohms in
order to place the needle on the 212 on your gauge then a 150 ohm resistor
in parallel would make it about right.  At least in theory +/- something
maybe.
How linear it would be is anybodys guess!  You could also just listen for
the hiss and watch for the vapor....
Mark
Nashville
http://www.arrestmered.com